You can request SAMPLES AT NO CHARGE
Satin- One of the Highly-demanded Fancy Fabrics
Originated over 2000 years ago, satin fabric is widely popular today. It has a smooth and lustrous surface and comes in a range of different weights. Traditionally, satin was used for upholstery. But, today, it’s commonly used for evening gowns, lingerie, boxer shorts, ballet shoes, hats, ties, and bedding. Even the lining fabric of the coat is made from satin, giving a smooth surface to the coat to glide easily over the fabrics beneath it.
Silk vs. satin- This is one of the biggest confusions that people have. Satin is a type of weave and not a raw material while silk is a raw material produced by silkworms. Silk is sometimes used to make satin because the texture of both is somewhat the same.
Varieties of silk fabric, their properties, and uses
- Antique Satin (also known as Satin Back Shantung) - It’s a heavy, dull fabric with a textured surface as it is woven with slubbed yams. It’s used for making upholstery, curtains, draperies, bedding, and accessories.
- Charmeuse Satin- It’s a lightweight fabric with a very shiny face and is quite clingy. It’s used for making clothing, wedding, and bridesmaid dresses.
- Crepe Back Satin- It’s a reversible fabric with a satin face and a crepe back. It’s used for making dresses and lingerie.
- Duchesse Satin (also known as Duchess) - It's a heavy satin fabric with an outstanding ability to maintain its shape but is quite dull. It’s used for making dresses and bridal wear.
- Double-Faced Satin- It’s a mid-weight satin fabric with a glossy surface on both sides and is reversible. It’s used for making clothing, wedding gowns, and lingerie.
Other than this, there are some uncommon satin fabric types such as stretch fabric, slipper satin, faconne satin, and farmer’s satin. When you buy fancy fabric online and check the satin category, you might find some of these types.
What are the end uses of silk as a fancy fabric?
The list of uses is very long. It’s one of the best choices for luxury wear where you don’t have to go all out with your design and embroider it with myriads of crystals or sequins. Even a very simple cut in your satin dress will make it look expensive and elegant.
Ideally, satin fabric is used for making wedding dresses, corsets, skirts, blouses, shirts, loungewear, lingerie, underwear, and inner lining. Other than this, satin fabric is used to create stylish and sophisticated pieces such as neckties, hats, ballet shoes, athletic shorts, gloves, neckbands, sashes, scarves, brooches, and purses. Satin ribbons add a touch of luxury to any design.
Satin fabric and dress style
Made with satin, dresses are one of the usual items. You can sew different satin dress styles such as a slip dress, a sheath dress, an H-line dress, a tea dress, a shirt dress, a wrap dress, and a skater dress.
With a stretch satin fabric, you can create a body-hugging design, which will look stunning on your flawless figures. You can even play with other details of your satin dress such as the neckline, hem, waist, or sleeves.
You can pick silver and gold satin dresses for parties, and gala events as these colors get attention. If you think these colors are overpowering, you can easily dress down your look by combining them with black fabric.
Satin is a versatile fancy fabric. So, use it as you like it!!